Click the image above to view larger.
YMCA Summer Day Camp keeps kids moving, exploring and learning all summer long
At the end of the summer, families want to hear their child had “the best summer ever.” To help make that happen, the Mississippi Gulf Coast YMCA is offering Summer Day Camp, keeping kids adventurous, active, engaged and healthy all summer long. YMCA camp programs offer youth fun and unique experiences with an opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.
Summer is the ideal time for kids to get up, get out and explore. But for some kids, summer means no access to recreational and educational activities to help them learn, grow and thrive during out-of-school time. As a result, some kids can experience learning loss and gain weight twice as fast than during the school year. Attending the YMCA Summer Camp is a wonderful opportunity for kids to keep their minds and bodies active.
“It’s imperative that kids stay engaged socially, physically and academically throughout the summer. Summer Camp is a wonderful way to ensure that,” says Theresa Haynes, Youth Services Director, Mississippi Gulf Coast YMCA. “In our Summer Day Camp, kids are in a welcoming environment where they can belong, they’re building relationships, developing character and discovering their potential. We really encourage parents to give their kids the gift of camp to keep them active and engaged all summer long.”
Ms. Haynes says there are five reasons why children should attend summer camp:
- ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of new experiences and exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen. Visit ymca.net or mgcymca.org for details.
- HEALTHY FUN: Day camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their healthy eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: While in the welcoming environment of camp, youth have a chance to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
- FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The bonds formed at camp are important and lasting for many youth.
- MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and camp traditions) that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
The Mississippi Gulf Coast YMCA offers Summer Day Camp at the following locations: The Taconi Elementary building in Ocean Springs, East Hancock Elementary in Kiln, and the Vancleave YMCA Day Camp building located in Vancleave behind the United Methodist Church. And, to ensure that all youth have the chance to experience camp, the Mississippi Gulf Coast YMCA offers financial assistance to those in need.
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for over 131 years. The Mississippi Gulf Coast YMCA continues to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build their kids’ character.